I tried a couple of these several years ago and didn’t do so well, so I haven’t done them since. But I’m feeling ambitious this year. I’m going to overlap them where I can and take it easy. My main personal goal is to read a little (about half an hour) each day. As a secondary goal, it looks like I’m aiming for 2 graphic novels a month, 1 non-comic (fiction or non-fiction) every month, and 1 movie/TV discussion (not as part of the challenge but a separate goal).
I’ll post my whole list at the bottom of the page and include short tags for each challenge that applies.
Another goal is to get through some of these books I’ve collected and not actually read. Oh look, there’s a challenge for that!
Short Name: BTB
Twitter Hashtag: #BeatTheBacklist
Goals/Levels: Set your own.
And to prevent the backlist from piling up, I’ll also be taking part in this challenge to read at least some of the books I buy this year.
Short Name: RBB
Goals/Levels: I’ll be ambitious and choose the “Making Inroads” level, or 21-40%. That might also stop me from buying books I don’t actually have time to read!
I also want to share what I’m reading and talk about it here, so I’ll be doing this discussion challenge.
Short Name: BDC (added after I make each post)
Twitter Hashtag: #LetsDiscuss2017
Goals/Levels: Terrifically Talkative (31-40)
As much as I love comics, I definitely want to start posting more about the ones I read. So while I’m going to try to read some non-comic books this year too, this one is right up my alley.
Short Name: GNC
Goals/Levels: Bronze Age (24 books). Turns out I have 12 already on the shelf I want to read this year, so that’s 12 new ones. Maybe I can try to fill out the diversity challenge with some of those…
Since I’m trying to mostly use books I already have on the shelf, I’m not sure how many of these I’ll be able to do. Which kind of means this is also about evaluating my book-buying practices and becoming more aware of whose voices I’m missing out on. But I’ll try!
Short Name: DBC
Goals/Levels: Set your own. Before looking at my books and trying to line them up to the challenges, I’m hoping for 9.
1. Saga Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples [BTB][GNC][DBC]
2. Wayward Volume 3 by Jim Zubkavich, Tamra Bonvillain, and Steven Cummings [DBC][GNC]
3. Navajo Coyote Tales by Father Berard Haile, O.F.M. [BTB][DBC]
4. Young Centurions by Carrie Harris
1. Homestuck Volume 1 by Andrew Hussie [BTB][GNC]
2. Black Panther: Book one by Ta-Nehisi Coates and Brian Stelfreeze [RBB][DBC][GNC]
3. Star Wars: Before the Awakening by Greg Rucka and Phil Noto [BTB][DBC]
4. Sally Slick and the Steel Syndicate by Carrie Harris
1. Adulthood is a Myth by Sarah Anderson [RBB][GNC]
2. She Changed Comics by Comic Book Legal Defense Fund [RBB][DBC]
3. Restricted Access: Lesbians on Disability edited by Victoria A. Brownworth and Susan Raffo [BTB][DBC]
1. Lucifer by Mike Carey [BTB][GNC]
2. Ms. Marvel: Volume 2 by G. Willow Wilson, Jacob Wyatt, and Adrian Alphona [GNC][DBC]
3. No God But God by Reza Aslan [BTB][DBC]
June: YA Books
1. Nimona by Noelle Stevenson [BTB][GNC]
2. Young Avengers by Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie [RBB][GNC][DBC]
3. A Conspiracy of Kings by Megan Whalen Turner [BTB]
5. Pastrix: The Cranky Beautiful Faith of a Sinner & Saint by Nadia Bolz-Weber [BTB]
July: Old Favorites, New Things
1. Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat by Kate Leth, Brittney Williams, and Natasha Allegri [BTB][GNC]
2. Angela: Asgard’s Assassin by Kieron Gillen & Marguerite Bennett [GNC][DBC]
3. Aphrodite and the Rabbis by Burton L. Visotzky [RBB]
4. Organic Community: Creating a Place Where People Naturally Connect by Joseph R. Myers
1. Invisibles by Grant Morrison [BTB][GNC]
2. Secret Six: Volume 1 by Gail Simone, Dale Eaglesham, and Brad Walker [GNC][DBC]
3. Thick as Thieves by Megan Whalen Turner [RBB][DBC]
4. I Come Away Stronger: How Small Groups Are Changing American Religion by Robert Wuthnow [BTB]
September: Own Voices
1. Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye Volume 1 by James Roberts, Nick Roche, and Alex Milne [GNC] [BTB]
2. I.D. by Emma Rios [GNC]
3. Redefining Realness by Janet Mock [DBC]
4. Chainmail Bikini: The Anthology of Women Gamers edited by Hazel Newlevant [RBB]
1. All-Star Superman by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely [BTB][GNC]
2. Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Vol. 1 by Ryan North and Erica Henderson [GNC]
3. Through the Eyes of Women: Insights for Pastoral Care by Jeanne Stevenson Moessner [BTB][DBC]
4. Worship That Works by Wayne Arnason and Kathleen Rolenz [BTB]
1. The Wrenchies by Farel Dalrymple [BTB][GNC]
2. Vision Vol. 1 by Tom King and Gabriel Hernandez Walta [GNC][BTB]
3. The Girl With All the Gifts by M.R. Carey [DBC]
4. Proverbs of Ashes: Violence, Redemptive Suffering, and the Search for What Saves Us by Rita Nakashima Brock and Rebecca Ann Parker [BTB]
December: Behind the Scenes
1. The Fifth Beatle: The Brian Epstein Story by Vivek J. Tiwary, Andrew C. Robinson, and Kyle Baker [BTB][GNC]
2. Backstagers: Volume 1 by James Tynion IV and Rian Sygh [GNC][DBC]
3. Mighty Stories, Dangerous Rituals by Herbert Anderson and Edward Foley [BTB]
4. Afar by Leila del Duca and Kit Seaton[DBC][GNC]